|4. Linienregiment nr.21 Infanterie „Ilfov“
Das Regiment, eines der allerersten der rumänischen Armee, wurde im Jahre 1830 als Reg.1 Moldau gegründet. Es beteiligte sich an der Kampagne auf dem Arges Fluss, in 1866. In 1876 erhielt es die Regimentsfahne und wurde umbenannt in IV.Linienregiment. In 1876 war es Teil des Überwachungskorps in Calafat, an der Grenze mit dem Osmanischen Reich. Während dem Unabhängigkeitskrieg 1877-1878, nahm es an die Schlachten bei Opanez, Rahova, und Vidin Smardan Teil. Verluste: 40 Offiziere und 261 Soldaten. Am 22. August 1878, wurde der Einheit das Großekreuz des Ordens „Stern Rumäniens“ verliehen, und am 8. Oktober das „Kreuz der Donauüberquerung“, für die im Kampf bewiesene Tapferkeit. Die Soldaten des Regiments die sich auszeichneten, erhielten 34 Ritterkreuze und ein Offizierkreuz des „Sterns Rumäniens“ und einen serbischen Takovo Orden.
In 1891 wurde die Einheit mit dem 21. Dorobanti Regiment vereinigt, das zuvor aus der Spaltung des 6. Dorobanti Regiments „Michael der Tapfere“ entstanden war. So entstand das „IV.Linienregiment „Ilfov“ nr.21 Infanterie, das seine Kaserne im Gebäude hatte, in das sich heutzutage das Nationale Militärmuseum Bukarest befindet.
Das Regiment beteiligte sich an allen Kämpfen des Ersten Weltkriegs an der rumänischen Front, für die gesamte Dauer der militärischen Operationen, von 1916 bis 1919.
Für bemerkenswerte Erfolge auf dem Schlachtfeld während des Zweiten Weltkriegs, wurde die Einheit mit dem höchsten rumänischen Militärorden, „Michael der Tapfere“ 3. Klasse, ausgezeichnet, durch das Königliche Dekret DR3315/23dec1943. Für außergewöhnliches Heldentum wurden auch noch 5 Offizieren des Regiments, individuell, der Orden Michael der Tapfere“ 3. Klasse verliehen.
> Uniform of a soldier of the IV.Line Infantry Regiment “Ilfov” -1877
The line infantry uniforms carried during the Independence War of 1877-1878 had been introduced in 1873. They were composed of the following items:
The kepi made in dark-blue cloth, with a red bottom band, piped red. It had in front a red wool braid over a tricolour cockade, with prince Carol’s cipher below. The kepi had a black square visor and a black leather chinstrap. In summer the kepi was protected by a white linen cover with a long nape flap and, in winter, by a black oilskin one;
The tunic made in blue cloth, with red piping, single breasted, with one row of 7 visible brass buttons each and had a straight collar. The cuffs, collar patches and shoulder boards were in red cloth. On the rear, the tunic had two false pocket flaps, fastened with 3 brass buttons each. The shoulder boards were bearing the number of the regiment, “4”, in blue cloth.
Breeches were in gray cloth with red piping.
Greatcoat in gray cloth, double breasted, with two rows of 4 brass buttons each, turned off collar and cuffs, red piping and blue cloth regimental numbers on red shoulder boards.
Black leather jack boots.
Black leather waist belt.
Cartridge pouch made in black leather.
Rank insignia were lace braid stripes, above the cuffs, made in yellow cotton (1 for “Fruntas”, 2 for “Caporal”) or gold lace (1 for “Sergent”, 2 for “Sergent-major”, 3 for “Plutonier”).
> Uniform of a soldier of the 21st Infantry Regiment “Ilfov” – 1916:
Uniforms worn by the Romanian infantrymen during WW1 have been introduced in 1912 and modified in 1916. They were composed of the following items:
- Field cap “capela” made in grey-blue cloth with red piping, having in front the number of the regiment, “21”, in red cloth;
- “Adrian” helmet with the overlapping cipher of King Ferdinand I;
- Tunic in grey-blue cloth, with a single breasted fly-front. It had 4 rectangular pocket flaps, 2 on the breast and 2 on the hips. The collar was rolled off, piped red, adorned decorated with red pointed collar patches. Shoulder boards in grey-blue cloth, piped red, adorned by the regimental number, in red cloth. Sewn On the outer edge of the right shoulder board was a small cloth roll serving the purpose of preventing the rifle strap from slipping off the shoulder;
- Breeches in grey-blue cloth with red piping;
- Greatcoat was in grey-blue cloth, doublebreasted, with two rows of visible 4 black metallic buttons. It had 2 side pockets with rectangular flaps. The collar and cuffs were rolled off. The collar was piped red, with red pointed collar patches and the shoulder boards were piped red, adorned by the regimental number, in red cloth. Sewn on the outer edge of the right shoulder board was a cloth roll as for the tunic. At the rear, the greatcoat had two vertical false pocket flaps, piped red, with two metallic buttons, and a rear-belt piped red;
- Puttees in grey-blue cloth;
- Laced boots in black or undyed, natural leather;
- Black leather waist-belt, fastened with a buckle or plain belt plate;
- Black leather rectangular cartridge pouches, fixed on the waist-belt, framing the belt plate. Infantrymen could also optionally carry Austro-Hungarian, Italian or Russian WW1 cartridge pouches;
- Bayonet scabbard holster, made in black leather, carried on the left hip;
- “Linemann” shovel spade holster, made in black leather, carried on the left hip, below the bayonet holster, fastening with its lower strap the bayonet scabbard;
- Bread bag in undyed canvas, with a lateral outer pocket for the canteen, carried diagonally, on the left hip;
- Canteen, made in enameled metal, carried in the bread-bag’s outer pocket. Optionally, other WW1 canteens of German, Russian or Austro-Hungarian origin, could also be used;
- Romanian gas mask (M.1916), French (M-2), or Russian (Zelinsky-Cumant);
- Knapsack made in black waterproof canvas, of rectangular shape, with black leather shoulder straps.
The rank insignia consisted of lace braid stripes, made in yellow cotton (1 large for “Fruntas”, 2 large for “Caporal”) or gold lace stripes (1 large for “Sergent”, 1 large and 1 narrow for “Sergent-major”, 2 large for “Plutonier”, 2 large and 1 narrow for “Plutonier-major”, 3 large for “Plutonier-adjutant”), edged red, displayed on the shoulder boards of the tunic and greatcoat
> Uniform of a soldier of the IV.Line 21st Infantry Regiment “Ilfov” 1941:
Uniforms worn by the Romanian infantry troops during WW2 have been introduced in 1939. They were composed of the following items:
- Field cap “Capela” made in kaki cloth;
- Dutch style steel helmet, “Adrian” helmet or German WW2 helmet;
- Tunic in kaki cloth, with a single breasted fly-front. It had 2 breast pockets with rectangular flaps. The collar was rolled off and had shoulder boards made in kaki cloth;
- Breeches or trousers in kaki cloth;
- Greatcoat was in kaki cloth, fastened by two rows of 4 kaki metallic buttons. It had rectangular flaps on the inclined side pockets. The collar and cuffs were rolled off;
- Puttees in kaki cloth, worn with breeches;
- Leggings in black leather, fastened with three side straps and buckles, worn with trousers;
- Laced boots in black or natural leather;
- Natural leather waist-belt, fastened with a belt plate plain or adorned by a crown;
- Natural or black leather Y suspenders;
- Natural leather square cartridge pouches, fixed on the waist-belt, framing the belt plate. Infantrymen could also optionally carry Austro-Hungarian WW1 ammo pouches;
- Bayonet scabbard holster, made in natural leather, carried on the left hip;
- “Linemann” spade holster, made in natural leather, carried on the left hip, beneath the bayonet holster, fastening the bayonet scabbard with its lower strap;
- Bread bag in kaki canvas, carried diagonally, on the right hip;
- Romanian rectangular mess tin, made in enameled metal, fastened by a strap on the outside flap of the bread bag, or German mess tin;
- Romanian, German or Russian canteen, suspended on the waist belt;
- Romanian gas mask (M.1932 or 1939B), carried in a kaki bag, diagonally, on the left hip, or a German WW2 model;
- Knapsack made in kaki waterproof canvas, of rectangular shape, with natural or grey leather slings. the Dutch helmet was carried on its flap, fastened with 2 leather straps.
The rank insignia consisted of lace braid stripes, made in yellow cotton (1 large for “Fruntas”, 2 large for “Caporal”) or gold lace (1 large for “Sergent”, 1 large and 1 narrow for “Sergent-major”, 2 large for “Plutonier”, 2 large and 1 narrow for “Plutonier-major”, 3 large for “Plutonier-adjutant”), edged blue, displayed on the shoulder boards of the tunic and greatcoat
> Distinctive elements:
– in 1906 border guards received special dark green cloth collar patches, that were changed to light green in 1921
– initially they had yellow braided fourageres, that were changed to plain green ones by WWI
– From 1919 till 1930 they donned the „alpini“ – type hats
– in 1930 they received ceremonial helmets, topped by an eagle with open wings; the wear of the ceremonial helmet was discontinued in 1941
– By DR333 / 05 February 1932, specific elements were added to the uniform of the 1st Guard Border Guards Regiment: a special monogram of King Carol II., in metal, was worn on helmets and epaulettes; the officers received a special badge with the king’s monogram in light green enamel.