Ernest Brosteanu

For those interested in military history and reenactment, but not fluent in Romanian; you may address us in English, Deutsch, Francais, Italiano.

Ernest Brosteanu

Mesajde verdun » Vin, 27 Mar 2009 19:01

It seems I've gotten as far as I can with the post above. Thanks to everyone who helped. I've passed the info on to the people in charge and the website will be added to our list of acknowledgements as Asociatia Traditia Militara.

It seems to me it might be possible to fill in some gaps by looking at specific leaders already listed. To try that I've singled out Brosteanu as a test. We have the following info on him:
He commanded 11 Division from January to June 1917 then we lose him until January 1918 when he shows up commanding 9 Division when it enters Bessarabia. He becomes commander of the occupation force which ultimately grows to 3 infantry and a cavalry division. None of our information shows him leaving command of 9 Division, but surely as occuption forces commander in charge of 4 divisions he must have given up effective command.
So a number of questions
1 When did he take command of 11 Division?
2. When did he take command of 9 Division?
3. Did a change of command occur once he took over occupation duties?
4. Who did he replace at both 9 and 11 Divisions and when?
5. Who replaced him at each division?
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks again for your help previously.
Rich
verdun

Re: Ernest Brosteanu

Mesajde gabi_dinisov » Lun, 30 Mar 2009 09:22

Ok, we're looking into it and we'll pass on the results A.S.A.P.

Best wishes,
GD

Mesajde stoica » Lun, 13 Apr 2009 10:37

According to documents, Ernest Brosteanu took over the 11th Division from Brig.Gen.R. Dumitru Cocorascu on jan 10th 1917.
Apparently he did not relinquish command of his division (9th ?) when he became commander of all Romanian troops in Basarabia.
We still have to dig some more...  
stoica

Mesajde verdun » Lun, 13 Apr 2009 17:51

Thanks much for the assistance. One question for you on the info just supplied: what is the source? We need source info for our files (it's an academic thing  ;) ).
Thanks again,
Rich
verdun

Mesajde stoica » Mar, 14 Apr 2009 12:04

Surprise: I found out that gen.Ernest Brosteanu had remained commander of the 11th Division all through the Basarabia campaign, till well after the war.
He appears as head of the 11th Div. on 13jan1918 when entering Chisinau, and again on 21apr1921, when the army was demobilized.
I know that swearing on my great-grandmothers grave to the truthfulness of the data will not suffice, so I dislclose to you my main sources: the book "Istoria Razboiului pt Intregirea Romaniei. 1916-1919" (Romania in the War for National Reunification) by C.Kiritescu editia a 2-a Atelierele Cartea Romaneasca, 1925-1927. There is also an revised/enhanced version of 1959, edited by Editura stiintifica si Enciclopedica, Bucuresti, in 1989. Some shreds of info can be found in the vast collection of documents "Romania in Razb Mondial. 1916-1919" by Marele Stat Major (General Hdq), Monit Oficial si Imprimeriile Statului. Printed at Imprimeria Nationala, Bucuresti 1934-1941.
stoica

Mesajde verdun » Mar, 14 Apr 2009 18:22

thanks much.
sorry about your great grandmoter.  :D
Best wishes,
Rich
verdun

Înapoi la International Forum